At Dennis Franklin Cromarty High School (DFCHS) students have the unique privilege of attending a First Nations high school— an opportunity previous generations did not have. DFCHS was established by the parents and elders in the Sioux Lookout District and is operated by the Northern Nishnawbe Education Council.
DFCHS is located in Thunder Bay, Ontario, and hosts high school students from many different Sioux Lookout District First Nations.
DFCHS is a private high school, and all courses are approved and inspected by the Ontario Ministry of Education. The credits that you receive at DFCHS carry the same value as those of a provincial secondary school, and are transferable to any other high school. Students who graduate with applicable courses at the college, or college/university levels are eligible to attend most post-secondary college programs in Canada.
Teacherings From The Elders
Your elders and parents share the following teachings, believing that it is our responsibility to see them through:
- We want the best education provided by the best teachers for our children.
- We want education to help our children live a good life.
- We want self government. Self government means that we make decisions about our lives; it means having our own doctors and teachers.
- It is important to us that our children know our language and our history. We want our language to be built into the curriculum.
- We want our young people to be proud of who they are – in order to feel good about someone and something else, we must first feel good about ourselves.
DFCHS will provide you with a real challenge. Our timetable is demanding and often tiring. In addition to playing various sports, you will have opportunities to travel and to make many new friends. We pride ourselves on our family atmosphere where students and staff work and play together.
TO BECOME ALL WE CAN BE
The students and staff of Dennis Franklin Cromarty are committed to:
- Working towards success
- Strengthening our minds and spirit
- Keeping our language alive
- Taking pride in everything we do
- Being free of drugs and alcohol
Our Mission Statement
The mission of Dennis Franklin Cromarty High School is to ensure students develop a strong sense of identity in the distinct language, culture and traditions of the Anishnawbek and achieve academic excellence and become active members of society.
Address: 315 Edward St. N, Thunder Bay, ON P7C 4P3